Monday, May 17, 2010

Podcasting - Thing 20

Podcasts are audio files and are distributed by some form of web fee. Podcasts are distributed as MP3 files and you can listen to them on many types of audio devices: computers, MP3 players, ipod and many others. Programs that can receive podcasts are called podcatchers.

I listen to an author, Anne Lamott, hosted by the DeKalb County Public Library. It was very interesting and funny. The podcast was recorded at a program in which she talked about her newest book, Imperfect Birds. It lasted about 16 minutes. Visits with other authors were also offered on this site. What a great way to do book talks. A bank of book talks by popular authors would be fun, but I think for that to be effective you would need to have them be much shorter.

I listened on my computer which offered computerized voice patterns is a wild variety of colors; I think downloading them is the way to go. I also looked in on Consumer Attitudes on Podcast Advertising to see what was happening there. This podcast had the audio tied to a PowerPoint presentation. I do wonder what the future of podcasting is because of the hugh share of the market that video is claiming. I can see where the library can investing in some of this form of reaching out to the patron, but I don't think it is as effective as video forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment